The Mercantile Lofts
The Mercantile Lofts have 29 high end apartments in a renovated historic downtown Hamilton department store. Built circa 1875, the buildings served commercial functions for more than 100 years. The $11.1 million renovation into apartments and 4 retail spaces was completed through a partnership between the City of Hamilton, Historic Developers, the Hamilton Community Foundation, and the State of Ohio.
Artspace Hamilton is an $11.8 million residential project in downtown Hamilton that opened in 2015. Artspace Hamilton’s retail spaces are home to The Almond Sisters Bakery and Renaissance Fine Art Supplies. There are 42 residential units for artists. Artspace is a Minneapolis-based developer that creates artist lofts around the country. This is their first project in Ohio. They chose Hamilton after a 2006 site visit that found that, while few communities with populations under 100,000 can support an Artspace project, Hamilton was an exception due to the large artist community in the area.
Hamilton’s Historic Districts
German Village is a 9-block historic district located immediately north of Hamilton’s central business district and adjacent to the Great Miami River. It has been listed on the National Register of Historic Places since 1991. It was the first residential development outside of Fort Hamilton.
Construction in the 1800’s was mostly frame and reflected several different styles of 19th century architecture including Queen Anne, Italianate, Eastlake, Gothic Revival, and Greek Revival. The neighborhood housed both prominent businessmen and laborers. By the 1940’s, and the completion of the nearby Hydraulic Canal, a wave of German immigrants had arrived and Hamilton was becoming a prominent industrial center.
The Hamilton CORE Fund has begun purchasing residential properties in German Village and is looking for interested urban pioneers to become part of this beautiful neighborhood.
The Dayton Lane Historic Area is a wonderfully restored and maintained neighborhood of Hamilton, Ohio showcasing some of the region’s most glorious Victorian Architecture. It was placed on the National Register of Historic Districts in 1985.
The neighborhood consists of 210 structures built during the last quarter of the nineteenth century and first quarter of the twentieth century when it was home to Hamilton’s prominent industrialists . The homes in this district represent the rich variety of architectural styles popular at the district’s height, including Queen Anne, Italianate, Second Empire, and Georgian Revival. Campbell Avenue was named after Lewis D. Campbell, a major landowner who donated a parcel of land to the city of Hamilton for use as Campbell Avenue Park. For more information, view a Dayton Lane blog here and the Dayton Lane Historic District’s website here.
Rossville was founded in 1804 as a separate city from Hamilton.Throughout the 19th century, Rossville was known for its inns, agricultural businesses, breweries, and industry. The town joined Hamilton in 1854, and served as a valuable refuge during the great flood of 1913.
The Rossville Historic District was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1975. Both sides of Main Street are lined with a variety of 19th century commercial buildings that once contained taverns, lively stables, hatters, meeting halls, drug stores, and grocers. The architecture of the Rossville and Main Street provides excellent examples of all of the major styles of domestic and commercial buildings from the 1830’s through the 1920’s.